Haxby is a town and civil parish in the unitary authority of City of York, on the River Foss, five miles (8 km) north of York and south of Strensall, in North Yorkshire, England. Haxby is bordered on the east by the River Foss, and to the west by the village of Wigginton, whose expansion has caused the two settlements to form a continuous urban environment. To the south is the garden village of New Earswick and the York Outer Ring Road (A1237) with the open farmland to the north as far as the villages of Sutton-on-the-Forest and Strensall.
According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 8,754. Before 1996 it was part of the Ryedale district. The centre of the town was made a Conservation Area by the local council in 1976.
"Haxby" is a Norse place-name and translates as "Farmstead or village of a man called Hákr". It is formed from a Norse personal name and the Old Scandinavian word bý, meaning "farmstead, village or settlement". Haxby was recorded as Haxebi in the Domesday Book of 1086. The town is primarily a dormitory for commuters to nearby towns and cities, though local service industries provide employment opportunities.
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Haxby was part of Flaxton Rural District. Historically, it was an ecclesiastical parish in the Bulmer Wapentake. GENUKI states that the name of the parish was Byland. This may be in error.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Haxby.