Place:Hawkchurch, Devon, England

Watchers
NameHawkchurch
TypeParish
Coordinates50.7999°N 2.9342°W
Located inDevon, England     (1896 - )
Also located inDorset, England    
See alsoAxminster Hundred, Devon, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
Axminster Rural, Devon, Englandrural district in which the parish was located 1894-1974
East Devon District, Devon, Englandcovering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Hawkchurch is a village in East Devon District, 3 miles north east of Axminster on the border of Devon and Dorset, and about 6 miles south of the Somerset border. It is also 4 miles north of the tourist and fishing village of Lyme Regis. Because of its location, it has been classified as part of each county at different times, but has been officially located within Devon since 1896.

The parish church of St. John the Baptist dates from Saxon times, however, the current building is estimated to have been built in the 15th century.

Registration Districts


Research Tips

  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Hawkchurch. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.