Place:Hawick, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoKirkharle, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Bellingham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Bavington, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: This is the very small township and former civil parish in Northumberland, England. The town of Hawick was in Roxburghshire, Scotland and is now in the district known as Scottish Borders, Scotland.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hawick from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HAWICK, a township in Kirkharle parish, Northumberland; near the river Wansbeck, 7½ miles E of Bellingham. Acres: 1,150. Population: 6. House: 1."

Hawick was a township in the ancient parish of Kirkharle and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Bellingham Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Bavington.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.