Hawes is a small market town and civil parish in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England, that was granted its market charter in 1699. Historically in the North Riding of Yorkshire, Hawes is located at the head of Wensleydale in the Yorkshire Dales, the River Ure runs to the north of the town and is regarded as one of the honeypot tourist attractions of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The parish of Hawes also includes the neighbouring hamlet of Gayle. It is west of the County Town of Northallerton. The Wensleydale Creamery is a major producer of Wensleydale cheese.
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Hawes was in the Aysgarth Rural District of the North Riding of Yorkshire from 1894. Historically it was in the ecclesiastical parish of Aysgarth in the wapentake of Hang West.