Haversham is a village in the Borough of Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. It is situated just north of Milton Keynes near Wolverton and about north of Central Milton Keynes, in the green belt. Haversham-cum-Little Linford is a civil parish in the Borough of Milton Keynes.
The village name is an Old English word that means 'Haefer's homestead'. In the Domesday Book of 1086, when it belonged to the Peverell family, it was listed as Hæfærsham. The ancient manor house in the village, which was fortified in 1304, was largely burnt down, but parts of it still remain in a farm house just outside the main village.
Haversham was once a north Buckinghamshire farming village before the building of the railway carriage works at Wolverton in 1833. , only Hill Farm, Grange Farm, Field Farm and Crossroads Farm remain as active working farms. The village has two distinct settlements separated by farmland. The older part of the village contains the manor house and, at elevations between 60 metres and 65 metres above mean sea level, is close to the Ouse Valley and its flood plain. In the 1930s 'new Haversham' was built on the meadows just above the banks of the River Ouse to house managers working within the rail works at Wolverton. The modern part contains the primary school and is on ground at elevations between 65 metres and 75 metres, overlooking the Ouse Valley.
Behind Haversham lakes is the ruined church of St Peter's which belonged originally to the medieval village of Stanton Low. The last house in Stanton Low fell into disrepair in the 1920s. In the 1950s the Norman chancel arch from St Peter's was removed to St James' Church New Bradwell, and St Peters is now a ruin. In the 1970s, ARC dug the river meadows near the village for gravel extraction, leaving behind the large man made lakes that surround Haversham to the south today. These lakes are the home to the Hanson Centre and to the Haversham Sailing Club, one of the leading sailing clubs around Milton Keynes.
Near to Haversham, along the Ouse towards Wolverton, is the Wolverton Railway Viaduct of a 'typical' Stephenson's design, carrying the West Coast Main Line over the river Great Ouse. A little further west is the 'Iron Trunk' canal aqueduct, carrying the Grand Union Canal over the same river. There are also 'cattle creep' holes in the canal embankment, which allow cows to pass from one side of the canal to the other: one of these is also used to carry the riverside footpath.
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References