Place:Hauxley, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.32°N 1.552°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoWarkworth, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Alnwick District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hauxley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HAUXLEY, a township in Warkworth parish, Northumberland; on the coast, 3 miles SE of Warkworth. Acres: 748. Population in 1851: 811; in 1861: 937. Houses: 184. Coal is extensively worked; and a fishery is carried on."

Hauxley was a township in the ancient parish of Warkworth. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Hauxley became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.