Haughton Green is a large village in Tameside, Greater Manchester, England. It formed part of the ancient township of "Haughton", Lancashire, along with Haughton Dale, Higher Haughton, Lower Haughton, Haughton Hall, and Haughton itself.
Originally, farming was the main occupation but the discovery of rich deposits of coal brought mining to the area. The soil was not particularly productive and farmers in both Haughton and the neighbouring Denton supplemented their incomes by making felt hats and this industry ultimately dominated the area and made Denton famous for this industry rather than the more usual industries of cotton spinning and weaving.
Haughton adopted the Local Government Act, establishing the Haughton Local Board, in 1877 (neighbouring Denton had adopted the Act in 1857). In 1884, the Denton and Haughton Local Boards amalgamated into a single local authority, the Denton and Haughton Local Board. In 1894 this became the Denton Urban District Council, with Haughton being struck out of the formal title by Order of the Lancashire County Council, although the former township still remained as ecclesiastical parishes (Haughton, St Mary the Virgin and Haughton, St Anne). On 1 April 1974, Denton, became part of the Tameside Metropolitan Borough in the metropolitan county of Greater Manchester, England.
Haughton Green is today mainly a residential area that has roughly 3,000 households. Originally Haughton Green was a mainly rural area, with most of its built up areas along the main roads and in the original village.