Place:Haughton, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.035°N 2.282°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoSimonburn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Hexham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-
Humshaugh, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was part absorbed in 1955
Simonburn, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was part absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Haughton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HAUGHTON, a township in Simonburn parish, Northumberland; on the North Tyne river and on the Border Counties railway, 7 miles NW of Hexham. Population: 105. Houses: 21. Haughton Castle here was the seat of the Swinburnes; passed to the Widdringtons; and is now the seat of George Crawshay, Esq. It occupies a picturesque site; is itself an edifice of the time of Edward I., in the form of an oblong square, 100 feet by 44; has, all round the external walls, a row of arches, which probably were inserted to give strength to the masonry; and contains a large upper room, which probably was the baron's hall, but has been modernized. Ruins of an ancient chapel, 60 feet by 24, are in the grounds. A paper mill, now a ruin, is on the bank of the river, and was the place where Pitt's assignats were forged."

Haughton was a township in the ancient parish of Simonburn and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was split between the parishes of Humshaugh and Simonburn.

The Wikipedia article on Humshaugh explains "Pitt's assignats" referred to in Wilson's Gazetteer.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.