Place:Harton, Durham, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Located inDurham, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoJarrow, Durham, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Chester Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
South Shields Rural, Durham, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1921
South Shields, Durham, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1921
Whitburn, Durham, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1921
South Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan borough covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Harton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HARTON, a township-chapelry in Jarrow parish, Durham; on the coast, 2 miles S of South Shields [railway] station. Post town, South Shields. Acres: 1,537; of which 144 are water. Real property: £8,672; of which £4,000 are in mines, and £300 in quarries. Population: 877. Houses: 176. The name is a corruption of Heorte-dune, signifying "the hill of stags;" and, like the names Hart, Hartness, and Hartlepool, commemorates the ancient abundance of harts on the Durham sea board. An extensive colliery at West Harton is 215 fathoms deep. A cavern on the coast is called the Fairies' Kettle cave. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was built in 1868."

Harton was a township in the ancient parish of Jarrow. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1921 it was part of South Shields Rural Rural District. In 1921 the civil parish was abolished and the area was split between the parishes of South Shields and Whitburn. In 1974 this part of Durham became part of the district of South Tyneside within the county of Tyne and Wear.

Research Tips