Place:Hazon and Hartlaw, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameHazon and Hartlaw
Alt namesHazonsource: name of original township
Hartlawsource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.385°N 1.671°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoShilbottle, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Newton on the Moor, Northumberland, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hazon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HAZON, a township in Shilbottle parish, Northumberland; on a branch of the river Coquet, 6 miles S of Alnwick. It includes the hamlet of Hart-Law. Acres: 1,409. Population: 116. Houses: 18."

There is no article on Hazon and Hartlaw in Wikipedia. However, a search for Hazon leads to an article entitled Bilton Banks, a mining community not found on a map but which must be in the immediate area.

Hazon and Hartlaw was a township in the ancient parish of Shilbottle and became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Newton on the Moor.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.