The Town of Hartland is on the eastern border of the county.
The town was founded when Zebulon Barnum, Isaac Southwell, and John Morrison settled in the area in 1803. The Town of Hartland was created in 1812 from an eastern section of the Town of Cambria. Subsequently, the other towns were formed from its territory by cutting out, in whole or part, the towns of Somerset, Royalton, and Newfane by 1824.
The following are listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Constant Riley W. Bixby House, Amzi Bradley Farmstead, District#10 Schoolhouse, Harrington Cobblestone Farmhouse and Barn Complex, and Philo Newton Cobblestone House.