|Name||Harthill with Woodall|
|Alt names||Harthill||source: village in parish|
|Woodall||source: hamlet in parish|
|Harthill-with-Woodall||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Hertil||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 316|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||South Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Strafforth and Tickhill Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Kiveton Park Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which it was a part until 1974|
|Rotherham (metropolitan borough), South Yorkshire, England||metropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974|
|Dinnington St. John's, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||civil parish with which it forms a continuous settlement|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Harthill with Woodall from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HARTHILL, a village and a parish in the [registration] district of Worksop, and [West Riding of] Yorkshire. The village stands near the boundary with Notts, 1½ mile SW of Kiveton Park [railway] station, and 6 W of Worksop; and has a post office under Worksop.
- "The parish contains also the hamlet of Woodall; and bears the name of Harthill with Woodall. Acres: 2,940. Real property: £4,559. Population: 673. Houses: 147. The manor, with nearly all the property, belongs to the Duke of Leeds. Sandstone and magnesian limestone are quarried; and there are valuable seams of coal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value: £686. Patron: the Duke of Leeds. The church was originally Norman; has been more than once restored; and contains the family vault of the Osbornes. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school."
Harthill with Woodall was originally an ancient parish in Strafforth and Tickhill Wapentake in the West Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 Harthill with Woodall, which had no townships, became a civil parish. In 1894 it became part of the Kiveton Park Rural District of the West Riding.
Since 1974 Harthill with Woodall has been part of Rotherham Metropolitan Borough in the administrative county of South Yorkshire.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Harthill, South Yorkshire.
Categories: West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Harthill with Woodall, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Strafforth and Tickhill Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Kiveton Park Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Rotherham (metropolitan borough), South Yorkshire, England | South Yorkshire, England | Dinnington St. John's, West Riding of Yorkshire, England