|Alt names||Hartburn Grange||source: from redirect|
|Type||Township, Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was part located|
|Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was part located|
|Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|East Thornton, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|High Angerton, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Low Angerton, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|West Thornton, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Alnwick District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hartburn is a village in Northumberland, England. It is situated about 6 miles (10 km) to the west of Morpeth. The population at the 2011 UK census was 194.
The Devil's Causeway passes the western edge of the village, just before its crosses the Hart river (burn). The causeway is a Roman road which started at Portgate on Hadrian's Wall, north of Corbridge, and extended 55 miles (89 km) northwards across Northumberland to the mouth of the River Tweed at Berwick upon Tweed.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Hartburn was originally a township and an ancient parish. It became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Morpeth Rural District. In 1955 it was enlarged by the abolition of East Thornton, High Angerton, Low Angerton, and West Thornton, all of which had been its townships but became civil parishes in 1866. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Hartburn became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hartburn from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HARTBURN, a township in Morpeth [registration] district, and a parish partly also in Castle-Ward and Rothbury [registration] districts, Northumberland. The township lies on the Hart burn stream, 1 mile N of Angerton [railway] station and 8 W of Morpeth; and it has a post office under Morpeth. Population: 31. Houses: 7.
- "The parish contains also the townships of Hartburn-Grange, Whitridge, Cambo, WallingtonDemesne, Deanham, Todridge, North Middleton, South Middleton, Highlaws, Corridge, Low Angerton, High Angerton, East Thornton, West Thornton, Long Witton, East Shaftoe, West Shaftoe, Greenleighton, Harwood, Hartington, Hartington-Hall, Rothley, and Fairnley. Acres, 25, 778. Real property, £17, 090; of which £10 are in mines. Population: 1,526. Houses: 276. The property is not much divided. Most of the land is in pasture. Coal, limestone, and lead ore are found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £650. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, but very good; has a square tower; and contains a monument to Hodgson, the historian of Northumberland, a monument by Chantrey to Lady Bradford, and a memorial window of 1853 to Sir Thomas Bradford. Hodgson and Archdeacon Sharp were vicars; and the latter built a quaint Gothic tower, now used as a school House. The vicarage of Cambo is a separate benefice."
List of Townships
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Hartburn, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England | Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, England | Alnwick District, Northumberland, England