|Alt names||Chipping-Sodbury||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Sodbury-Chipping||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Avon, England (1974 - 1996)|
|Gloucestershire, England (1996 - )|
|See also||Grumbalds Ash (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1835-1974|
|South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England||unitary authority of which it has been part since 1996|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Chipping Sodbury is a market town in the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire, south-west England, founded in the 12th century by William Crassus (or le Gros). The villages of Old Sodbury and Little Sodbury are nearby. At the 2001 census the population of Chipping Sodbury was 5,066, but in the last decade the town has become part of a much larger built-up area due to the rapid expansion of nearby Yate. At the census the combined population of Yate and Chipping Sodbury was 26,855.
Chipping Sodbury is the principal settlement in the civil parish of Sodbury, which also includes the village of Old Sodbury. Little Sodbury is a separate civil parish. Sodbury parish council has elected to be known as Sodbury Town Council.
Sodbury was formed in 1946.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Grumbalds Ash (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Avon, England | South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England | Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire, England