Place:Harome, North Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameHarome
Alt namesHarumsource: John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates54.2167°N 1°W
Located inNorth Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
North Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoHelmsley Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which the parish was a part 1894-1974
Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, Englanddistrict municipality in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Harome is a small village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England, around 2 miles south-east of the market town of Helmsley, and 24 miles north-east of York. The village has a population of 261 people according to the 2011 UK census, and a total land area of 9,539 sq metres. It is situated to the east of the River Riccal. The village has 109 households, with agriculture and retail trade being the two main employers for the residents. The name Harome simply means rocks/stones, and translates from old English meaning a heap of stones.

In the 1870s, Harome was described as:

"HARUM, or HAROME, a chapelry in Helmsley parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the rivers Rye and Riccal, 2 miles SE by E of Helmsley, and 4 N of Hovingham r. station. Post town, Helmsley, under York. Acres, 2,303. Real property, £3,093. Pop., 447. Houses, 90."[7] - John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)

Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Harome was part of Helmsley Rural District. Historically, it was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Helmsley in the Rydale Wapentake.

Research Tips

Fundraiser
Help fund new features!