Place:Harnham, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameHarnham
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.119°N 1.885°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoBolam, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Belsay, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was transferred in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Harnham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HARNHAM, a township in Bolam parish, Northumberland; 8 miles SW of Morpeth. Acres: 679. Population: 45. Houses: 12. Harnham Castle was the seat of the Babingtons, one of whom was governor of Berwick in the time of Charles II.; it was a place of great strength, situated on a height, defended by a morass, a steep glacis, and a high range of sandstone rocks; and considerable remains of it exist at the back of a modern mansion."

The civil parish was abolished and the area absorbed into Belsay in 1955.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.