Hardwick Township is a township in Warren County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township's population was 1,696, reflecting an increase of 232 (+15.8%) from the 1,464 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 209 (+16.7%) from the 1,255 counted in the 1990 Census.
The township was created around 1713 through a royal patent. The township was created by Royal charter on January 22, 1750, from Greenwich Township, while the area was part of Morris County. It became part of the newly created Sussex County on June 8, 1753. Parts of Hardwick Township were taken on November 11, 1782, to form Independence Township. Hardwick Township was incorporated as a township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798. On November 20, 1824, most of Hardwick Township was transferred to form part of Warren County, with the remainder staying in Sussex County as parts of Green Township and Stillwater Township, which were both created as of December 27, 1824. Frelinghuysen Township was created March 7, 1848, from portions of the township.
The now-defunct Pahaquarry Township was dissolved and absorbed by Hardwick Township on July 2, 1997. Pahaquarry Township had been created on March 14, 1825, and received its name from the word "Pahaquarra", which was a derivation of the Native American word Pahaqualong used by the Lenape meaning "termination of two mountains" (describing the mountain or mountainous area that was the area's southern border) or "the place between the mountains beside the waters".