Place:Harby, Nottinghamshire, England

Watchers


NameHarby
TypeVillage
Located inNottinghamshire, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Harby is a village in the English county of Nottinghamshire, the farthest eastern village within the county boundaries. The nearest large town is Lincoln over the border in Lincolnshire. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 289. The parish church of All Saints' was built in 1875-76 in Early English style. In the east wall of the tower is a statue to Eleanor of Castile who died in 1290 at the nearby house of Richard de Weston. The moated site of Weston's house is to the east of the church. The capless stump of a five-storey tower windmill, built c. 1877, stands at the end of Mill Field Close. A post windmill is also recorded for Harby.

At one time it was within the parish of North Clifton. White's Directory records that "North Clifton parish comprises the four villages and townships of North Clifton, South Clifton, Harby and Spalford, which maintain their poor separately, and contain together 1,107 inhabitants and of land, now valued at £6,230, which was all exonerated from tithes at the enclosure, and anciently formed four manors of the Bishop of Lincoln's fee, and one of Roger de Bisli's, which in after times passed to the Lovelots, Pigotts and Willoughbys. North Clifton is a small village on the east bank of the Trent, 12½ miles north by east of newark, near a long cliff, in which numerous fragments of urns, bones and scalps have been found, near the spot which is supposed to have been anciently occupied by a castle. The church, dedicated to St George, stands on an eminence between North and South Clifton, and was re-pewed in 1831. The vicarage, valued in the King's books at £7 6s, and now at £176, is enjoyed by the Rev. Frederick Parry Hodges D.D.. The Rev. G.C. Gordon M.A. is the curate, and resides at the Vicarage House, South Clifton. The prebendary of North Clifton, in Lincoln Cathedral, is the patron and appropriator."

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Harby, Nottinghamshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.