Harby is a village and civil parish in the English county of Leicestershire. Harby is in the far north-east of the county in the Vale of Belvoir, 9.4 miles (15.1 km) north of the town of Melton Mowbray, 13.9 miles (22.4 km) south west of the town of Grantham.
Although Harby is in Leicestershire, the county town of Leicester is 21.4 miles (34.4 km) away, while the closest city is Nottingham 15.7 miles (25.3 km) away. The village is situated on the south side of the Grantham Canal.
Harby was one of three civil parishes which joined together in 1936 to make the single parish of Clawson and Harby which exists today. It was an ancient or ecclesiastical parish as well as, after 1866, a civil parish in its own right.
The parish was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was abolished and replaced by the Melton and Belvoir Rural District which covered a larger area. A year after the introduction of the new rural district its parishes were reorganized and reduced in number from 68 to 25.
In 1974 a new nationwide organization of local government was introduced in which rural and urban districts were replaced by "non-metropolitan" districts. In the northeast of Leicestershire this meant little save for the fact that the principal town of Melton Mowbray, formerly a separate urban district, was now governed by the same body (Melton District or Borough) as the rural area that surrounded it.
Maps on the place-pages for Belvoir Rural District and Melton and Belvoir Rural District illustrate the location of the various parishes and the geographical and administrative changes that occurred in 1936.