Place:Hant's Harbour, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Watchers


NameHant's Harbour
Alt namesHant's Harboursource: WeRelate abbreviation
Hants Harboursource: Getty Vocabulary Program
TypeCommunity
Coordinates48.015°N 53.262°W
Located inNewfoundland and Labrador, Canada
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The community of Hant's Harbour ( NST) is an incorporated town having a population of 346 (2011 Census) located on the east side of Trinity Bay on the Bay de Verde Peninsula, Newfoundland, Canada.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

During King William's War, the village was destroyed in the Avalon Peninsula Campaign. Like most of the early settlements around the coast of Newfoundland, the population grew very slowly during the eighteenth century.

Hant's Harbour early residents were mostly of the Church of England, during the eighteenth century they depended upon the services of clergy on the irregular visits of the missionaries for the Society of the Propagation of the Gospel, stationed at Trinity.

The rise and rapid growth of Methodism in Hant's Harbour caused the Church of England community to remain small, its members being served the clergy stationed at nearby parishes. In the early twentieth century the Salvation Army came to Hant's Harbour and gradually built up a substantial membership, and constructed a citadel there.

Timeline

  • 1697 - Abbe Baudoin reports that there are four houses at Hant's Harbour.
  • 1801 - Five families are listed as living in Hant's Harbour.
  • 1813 - T.E. and Mary Pelley die. The gravestone recording this still stands.
  • 1820’s – The first known church is built in the community.
  • 1830’s – The population consists of 400 people.
  • 1847 – Ten vessels carrying 271 men are engaged in the seal hunt.
  • 1853 – Eight vessels totalling 767 tons carry 294 men to the seal hunt.
  • 1868 – 1870 – A second and much larger church is built, serving the circuit until 1907 when it is destroyed to build a new one.
  • 1871 – Lovell’s Newfoundland Dictionary lists 81 of the 104 householders in Hant’s Harbour as fisherman. Two others are listed as farmers.
  • 1880’s – The population grows to its peak of about 750 residents.
  • 1961 – Fire destroys the vegetation which formerly covered the low hills which surround the harbour.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Hant's Harbour, Newfoundland and Labrador. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.