Place:Handley, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameHandley
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates53.113°N 2.801°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoBroxton (hundred), Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was situated
Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-1871
Chester Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part after 1871
Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Handley is a village and civil parish located since 2009 in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. Milton Green is a hamlet in the parish and Golbourn-David was a township within the ancient parish.

All Saints Church, Handley is a Grade II* listed building.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Handley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HANDLEY, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The township lies near an affluent of the river Dee, 2¼ miles WSW of Tattenhall [railway] station, and 7½ SE by S of Chester; and has a post office under Chester, and fairs on 10 March and 10 Sept. Acres: 1,334. Real property: £2,608. Population: 294. Houses: 62.
"The parish includes also the township of Golbourn-David, and comprises 1,967 acres. Real property: £3,559. Population: 364. Houses: 76. The property is subdivided. Building stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value: £253. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church was re-built in 1854, but retains an ancient tower. Charities, £10."

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Handley. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.