Place:Handforth with Bosden, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameHandforth with Bosden
Alt namesHandworth Cum Bosdensource: spelling variant
Handworth-Cum-Bosdensource: spelling variant
TypeFormer parish
Coordinates53.35°N 2.216°W
Located inCheshire, England     ( - 1877)
See alsoBosden, Cheshire, Englandportion of Handforth-with-Bosden which was separated off as a civil parishin 1877
Handforth, Cheshire, Englandportion of Handforth-with-Bosden which was separated off as a civil parish in 1877
Stockport Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district holding both civil parishes 1894-1900
source: Family History Library Catalog


GENUKI provides the following information

Handforth with Bosden was a township in the ancient parishes of Cheadle and Stockport in Macclesfield Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. In 1877 the two areas of Bosden and Handforth (which were detached from each other) became separate civil parishes. The population of the joint parish had been 1034 in 1801 and 2671 in 1851.

There are articles in WeRelate on both Bosden and Handforth which follow their independent histories after 1877.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.