The Town of Hammond is in the northwest corner of St. Lawrence County. The Village of Hammond lies approximately centrally within the town.
The Town of Hammond was formed in 1827 when portions of the Town of Morristown and the Town of Rossie were combined. Subsequent small alterations in the town lines affected the neighboring Towns of Rossie, Macomb, and Morristown.
Alexander Macomb bought land in this area and this was known as the Macomb purchase. Later this land was bought by Abijah Hammond, a New York Businessman, he in turned sold of land to David Parish. A land office was opened in 1814 in Chippewa Bay, a sub-community of the Town of Hammond today.
By an Act of New York State Legislature they passed that Hammond was officially a town, this happened on March 30, 1827. The town was named after Abijah Hammond. Hammond is older than Chicago and at one point was larger but due to location Hammond lost its population.
The first resident of Hammond was in Chippewa Bay and this was William McNeil. He was originally from Vermont. He lived in a cave which is no longer there, the spot is marked with a nearby plaque provided by the local R.T. Elethorp Historical Society. A statue was carved in his honor and is located in front of the Hammond Museum north of the Village of Hammond on state Route 37. The cave was covered by construction crews when a road was built to the edge of the bay.
Population had increased by 240% by the year 1840. The first school house was built in 1819-1820. the first church in 1821 and the first post office in 1822. The log shanties with thatched roofs were replaced with frame and stone houses, many which stand today. The stone houses built in the early 1800s were built by the first Scottish families immigrating to the Hammond area.