Hambledon is best known as the 'Cradle of Cricket'. It is thought that Hambledon Club, one of the oldest cricket clubs known, was formed about 1750. Hambledon was England's leading cricket club from about 1765 until the formation of MCC (Marylebone Cricket Club) in 1787.
The famous Bat and Ball Inn in Hyden Farm Lane, is next to the historic cricket ground at Broadhalfpenny Down where the Hambledon club originally played. The inn was run by Richard Nyren, who was also captain of the club. The modern Hambledon Cricket Club's ground is at Ridge Meadow, about 0 away.
The parish church, St Peter's and St Paul's, dates from the 13th century and is built on the site of a Saxon church. Admiral Sir Erasmus Gower, governor of Newfoundland, is buried in the church. The regimental colours of the Hambledon Volunteers during the Napoleonic Wars hang over the south aisle. The Georgian old Vicarage is Grade II listed and noted for its fine Dutch gables.