Place:Hartley Burn, Northumberland, England

NameHartley Burn
Alt namesHalton Lea Gatesource: village in parish
Hartleyburnsource: spelling variation
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates54.918°N 2.547°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoHaltwhistle, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Haltwhistle Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Tynedale District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hartley Burn from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HARTLEY-BURN, a township in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland; on Hartley rivulet, 2½ miles S of Haltwhistle. Acres: 2,676. Population: 439. Houses: 76."

Hartley Burn was a township in the ancient parish of Haltwhistle and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Haltwhistle Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Hartley Burn became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Halton Lea Gate is a small Northumberland village, situated on the A689 road close to the boundary of the counties of Northumberland and Cumbria within the parish of Hartley Burn (or Hartleyburn). (Source: Wikipedia)

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.