Place:Haltemprice, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameHaltemprice
TypeCivil parish, Urban district
Coordinates53.764°N 0.439°W
Located inEast Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inHumberside, England     (1974 - 1996)
East Riding of Yorkshire, England     (1996 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoSculcoates Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which Haltemprice was located 1894-1935
Harthill Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog


The civil parish names can be read with a magnifying glass. The lightly coloured areas were parts of parishes transferred from one district council to another during the period 1894-1974. Most of the area in yellow was transferred to Haltemprice Urban District in 1935, but some was absorbed by Kingston upon Hull.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Haltemprice was an area in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, directly to the west of Hull.

Haltemprice was historically an extra-parochial area, and was made a civil parish in its own right in 1858. It was included in the Sculcoates Rural District under the Local Government Act 1894.

In 1935, under a County Review Order, Sculcoates Rural District was abolished and an urban district of Haltemprice established to cover Hull's western suburbs. The district included Cottingham, Hessle (both previousley urban districts), and the villages of Anlaby, Kirk Ella, Skidby, West Ella and Willerby. Urban districts were abolished throughout England in 1974.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, Haltemprice Urban District was merged to form part of the Beverley borough in Humberside. With the exception of Kingston upon Hull itself (which became a separate unitary authority), Humberside north of the River Humber became the reconstituted East Riding of Yorkshire in 1996. The former Haltemprice area has been since divided again into a number of civil parishes within the new unitary authority.

Historical Notes

Vision of Britain states:
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haltemprice like this:

HALTEMPRICE, a farm in Cottingham parish, E. R. Yorkshire; 4 miles WNW of Hull. An Augustinian canonry was removed hither, from Cottingham manor, about 1324; had, at the dissolution, a prior and 11 or 12 canons; and was then given to Thomas Culpepper.

GENUKI provides a similar description in expanded detail.

Nothing specific to Haltemprice has been found for the period between the 16th and 19th centuries. Today, on Google Earth it is found as Haltemprice Farm.

Research Tips

Data on this page is taken from Vision of Britain through Time. See the tab "Relationships and Changes".