Halstock is a village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southern England, situated in the West Dorset administrative district approximately south of Yeovil in Somerset. It lies on the route of the ancient Harrow Way. In the 2011 Census the parish had a population of 546.
The village formerly had two inns, both now closed - "The New Inn" (New Inn Farm), which closed in the late 1950s, and the unusually named "The Quiet Woman" (usually taken as a reference to St Juthware), which closed in the mid 1990s.
Dorset Research Tips
One of the many maps available on the website A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Dorset at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. The internal boundaries on this map are the rural districts which are indicated in the "See Also" box for the place concerned (unless it is an urban parish).
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases. Some are linked to Ancestry.