Place:Halliwell, Lancashire, England

Watchers
NameHalliwell
TypeCivil parish, Suburb
Coordinates53.59°N 2.447°W
Located inLancashire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inGreater Manchester, England     (1974 - )
See alsoBolton, Lancashire, Englandborough of which it was part 1898-1974
Bolton (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, Englandmetropolitan borough in which it is now located
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia


Halliwell is now predominantly a residential area of Bolton, Greater Manchester, England. Halliwell lies about 2 miles (3.2 km) to the north west of Bolton town centre and is bounded by Tonge Moor to the east and Heaton to the south west. Smithills Hall to the north is within the ancient township (of Bolton-le-Moors). Halliwell lies on the lower south-facing slopes of the West Pennine Moors.

Prior to 1974 Halliwell was a part of Lancashire. It once formed an autonomous township in the ancient parish of Deane. Traces of this ancient history still remain. Boundary Street marks the old boundary between Halliwell and the parish of Bolton-le-Moors, and a modern wall along Gladstone Street also marks this former boundary. The old building on Halliwell Road, much modernised, at the end of the wall, is the former toll house.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Haliwell, Greater Manchester. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.