- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hallington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HALLINGTON, a township in St. John Lee parish, Northumberland; near the Roman wall, 8 miles NNE of Hexham. Population: 109. Houses: 20. This place was anciently called Halydon; it disputes with St. Oswald's being the Hefen-felth or Heaven-field of Bede, so-called from a famous battle won by King Oswald in 675; it belonged anciently to Hexham priory; and it had a beacon tower at a curious hill called Hangingshaws."
Hallington was a township in the ancient parish of Lee St. John. In 1866 it became a separate civil parish. In 1955 it was abolished as a civil parish and its area was absorbed into the parish of Whittington.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.