The Town of Halcott is located in the southwestern corner of the county.
The first recorded settlers, the Valkenburg family, arrived around 1813, although some non-permanent settlers had attempted to live in the area about 1790. The town was established in 1851 from the Town of Lexington. It was named for sheriff George W. Halcott.
In 1900, the town population was 272.