- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hailes from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HAILES, or HAYLES, a parish in Winchcomb [registration] district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 2 miles NE of Winchcomb, and 6 SE of Beckford [railway] station. Post town, Winchcomb under Cheltenham. Acres: 1,520. Real property: £2,705. Population: 102. Houses: 17. The manor belonged anciently to Osgot, the Saxon; and belongs now to Lord Sudeley. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1246, by Richard, Earl of Cornwall; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Thomas Seymour: and passed to the Marquis of Northampton and the Tracies. Some interesting remains of the abbey are still standing. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Didbrook, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol."
Wikipedia confines its article to Hailes Abbey.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county