The Gypsum Hill Cemetery Association was created in 1870. Twenty acres of land were purchased from Robert and Elizabeth Anderson. As the city of Salina grew, earlier burials in other cemeteries were moved to Gypsum Hill Cemetery. By the early 1900s, the cemetery had grown to 80 acres. In the 1920s, the northeast part of the cemetery was sold to the Catholic Church and became Mount Calvary Cemetery. Gypsum Hill Cemetery is presently 47 acres in size with more than 15,000 burials.