|Type||Civil parish, Village|
|Located in||Cornwall, England|
|See also||Penwith Hundred, Cornwall, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Redruth Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1934|
|West Penwith Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district in which it was located 1934-1974|
|Redruth Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Gwinear (Cornish: Gwynnyer) is a village in western Cornwall, England. It is about two miles (3 km) east of Hayle and overlooks the Angarrack valley.
Until 1934 Gwinear was a separate civil parish within Redruth Rural District. In 1934 Gwinear and its neighbouring civil parish of Gwithian were transferred to West Penwith Rural District where they were merged into the single civil parish of Gwinear-Gwithian.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Cornwall, England | Redruth Rural, Cornwall, England | West Penwith Rural, Cornwall, England | Gwinear, Cornwall, England | Penwith Hundred, Cornwall, England | Redruth Registration District, Cornwall, England