|Alt names||Gunhouse||source: John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Lincolnshire, England|
|Also located in||Lindsey, England (1889 - 1974)|
|Humberside, England (1974 - 1996)|
|See also||Glanford Brigg Rural, Lindsey, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Glanford District, Humberside, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-1996|
|North Lincolnshire District, Lincolnshire, England||unitary authority covering the area since 1996|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Gunness (or Gunhouse) is a village and civil parish in North Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 3 miles (5 km) west from Scunthorpe, and on the east bank of the River Trent. (Source:Wikipedia)
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Gunhouse from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "GUNHOUSE, a township in West Halton and Frodingham parishes, and a chapelry partly also in Bottesford parish, Lincoln. The township lies on the river Trent, nearly opposite Keadby [railway] station, and 4¼ miles ESE of Crowle; has a wharf for shipment of iron ore, brought by rail from Scunthorpe; has also ironworks, erected since 1861. Population: 197. Houses: 35. The chapelry includes Burringham township, and was constituted in 1862. Post town, Burringham, under Bawtry. Population: 829. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value: £148. Patron: the Bishop of Norwich. The church is plain; and there are a recent chapel of ease and three Methodist chapels."
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.
- Maps provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time show all the parishes and many villages and hamlets. (Small local reorganization of parishes took place in the 1930s led to differences between the latter two maps.):
- GENUKI's page on Lincolnshire's Archive Service gives addresses, phone numbers, webpages for all archive offices, museums and libraries in Lincolnshire which may store old records and also presents a list entitled "Hints for the new researcher" which may include details of which you are not aware. These suggestions are becoming more and more outdated, but there's no telling what may be expected in a small library.
- GENUKI also has pages of information on individual parishes, particularly ecclesiastical parishes. The author may just come up with morsels not supplied in other internet-available sources.
- Deceased Online now has records for 11 cemeteries and two crematoria in Lincolnshire. This includes Grimsby's Scartho Road cemetery, Scartho Road crematorium, and Cleethorpes cemetery, council records for the City of Lincoln and Gainsborough, and older church records from The National Archives for St Michael's in Stamford, and St Mark's in Lincoln, dating back to 1707. This is a pay website.
Categories: Lincolnshire, England | Gunness, Lincolnshire, England | Glanford Brigg Rural, Lindsey, England | Lindsey, England | Glanford District, Humberside, England | Humberside, England | North Lincolnshire District, Lincolnshire, England