NOTE: Gunby near Spilsby should not be confused with Gunby near Grantham which is on the Leicestershire border of Lincolnshire and is now part of the Gunby and Stainby civil parish in the South Kesteven District.
Gunby near Spilsby is part of the civil parish of Candlesby with Gunby, and situated 5 miles (8 km) east from Spilsby. Gunby is a hamlet about 1 mile (1.6 km) east from Candlesby in the East Lindsey District of Lincolnshire.
Gunby ecclesiastical parish is said to number "27 souls", and is served by St Peter's Church. Rebuilt on medieval foundations in the 1870s the Church is accessible only through the gardens of Gunby Hall, but it remains the active parish church of Gunby with a service once a month.
Gunby Hall was built around 1700 for Sir William, 3rd Baronet Massingberd, and was the former seat of the Massingberd family. The last in residence was Field Marshal Sir Archibald Montgomery-Massingberd (1871-1947). Today the hall is owned by the National Trust, and is a Grade I listed building.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.