The City of Groton is a dependent political subdivision of the Town of Groton in New London County, Connecticut, United States. The population was 9,395 at the 2010 census. The city is located in the western edge of the town, west of Plain Creek and south of Grove Avenue.
First settled in 1655 as Groton Bank, the area occupied by the present city of Groton developed into the principal village of the town of Groton. The village of Groton incorporated as a borough in 1903. In 1964, the residents of the borough of Groton reincorporated as the city of Groton. It is the only remaining city in the state of Connecticut that is not governmentally and areally consolidated with its parent town.