Historically, Grindleton was a township in the ecclesiastical parish of Great Mitton in Staincliffe Wapentake. From 1894 until 1974, Grindleton was located in Bowland Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Leeds Metropolitan Borough in West Yorkshire. In 1938, a geographically non-contiguous area of Low Bowland Forest was transferred to Grindleton.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Grindleton.