Dunnington is a village and civil parish in the City of York unitary authority and ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England, approximately east of York. It has an older centre, part of which is a conservation area.
Dunnington village was established many years ago. Later, the fields around it became a major area for growing chicory.
According to the 2001 census, the parish had a population of 3,194. Prior to 1996 it had been part of the Selby district.
The original Victorian village school has been demolished, but the doctors surgery building that sits on the site was built using a complementary construction style and reclaimed materials.
Dunnington is connected to York via the A1079 and the A166, respectively the main roads between York and Hull, and York and Bridlington. It also lies on the FirstGroup bus company's number 10 route through York and has a frequent service.
Between 1913 and 1926 it was served by passenger trains on the Derwent Valley Light Railway, and the remaining goods-only railway was withdrawn in stages following the Beeching Axe. Steam trains ran to Dunnington on this line between 1977 and 1979, but following the closure of the crop drying facility the last tracks covering the route to York via Murton and Osbaldwick were lifted.
Dunnington was runner-up in the small town category (for settlements with population over 3,000) of the Britain in Bloom competition in 2006..
'The Windmill' public house located on the A1079 Hull Road opened hotel accommodation in 2006 with a new 10 bedroom facility. It was thoroughly refurbished in early 2007.
Dunnington has a monthly magazine entitled The Village Cross, which is published by the local church. The magazine contains news from the village organisations such as the local Scout troop, as well as other features such as a crossword.
In 2006 Dunnington published a Village Design Statement (VDS) as part of a national scheme introduced by the Countryside Commission in 1996. This describes the history, visual characteristics and local setting of the village and surrounding landscape. The VDS forms part of the Parish Plan.
The parish includes the village of Grimston.