|Alt names||Grimestone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 161|
|Located in||Leicestershire, England|
|See also||East Goscote Hundred, Leicestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was included|
|Melton Mowbray Rural, Leicestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1935|
|Saxelby, Leicestershire, England||civil parish which was absorbed into Grimston in 1936|
|Shoby, Leicestershire, England||civil parish which was absorbed into Grimston in 1936|
|Melton and Belvoir Rural, Leicestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1936-1974|
|Melton District, Leicestershire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Grimston from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "GRIMSTON, a parish in Melton Mowbray [registration] district, Leicester; on the Wolds, 4 miles N of Kirby [railway] station, and 5 WNW of Melton Mowbray. Post town: Melton Mowbray. Acres: 920. Real property: £1,726. Population: 190. Houses: 39. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Earl of Aylesford. The living is a vicarage, under the vicarage of Rothley, in the diocese of Peterboringh. Value: £43. Patron: the Vicar of Rothley. The church is old; has an embattled tower; and was recently in disrepair. Charities, £13."
The civil parish of Grimston is in the Melton District, in the English county of Leicestershire, England. In 1936 the neighbouring civil parishes of Saxelby and Shoby was added to it and the parish is now called the Grimston, Saxelbye and Shoby parish council.
The parish was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was abolished and replaced by the Melton and Belvoir Rural District which covered a larger area. A year after the introduction of the new rural district its parishes were reorganized and reduced in number from 68 to 25.
In 1974 a new nationwide organization of local government was introduced in which rural and urban districts were replaced by "non-metropolitan" districts. In the northeast of Leicestershire this meant little save for the fact that the principal town of Melton Mowbray, formerly a separate urban district, was now governed by the same body (Melton District or Borough) as the rural area that surrounded it.
Maps on the place-pages for Belvoir Rural District and Melton and Belvoir Rural District illustrate the location of the various parishes and the geographical and administrative changes that occurred in 1936.
Categories: Leicestershire, England | Grimston, Leicestershire, England | East Goscote Hundred, Leicestershire, England | Melton Mowbray Rural, Leicestershire, England | Melton and Belvoir Rural, Leicestershire, England | Melton District, Leicestershire, England