- source: Family History Library Catalog
Wikipedia has two articles on Grendon titled New Grendon (or Grendon, Atherstone) and Old Grendon (or Grendon, Warwickshire). These are quoted word for word below:
- New Grendon: Grendon is a village in Warwickshire, England. It is located 2 miles from Atherstone and 3 Miles from Tamworth. The Village is centred on the A5 (Watling Street), The village has post office, public house and a newsagents. The village is often called New Grendon to distinguish it from the other Grendon a mile away. Population details are included in Baddesley Ensor.
- Old Grendon: Grendon is a village and civil parish in North Warwickshire, England, it situated three miles (5 km) west of Atherstone and five miles (8 km) east of Tamworth. Population details can be found under Baddesley Ensor. Grendon is often called Old Grendon to distinguish it from the other Grendon thirty one miles away.
The editors have not corrected the error which has been in Wikipedia for a number of years and may continue to confuse the ordinary reader.
New Grendon and Old Grendon are two villages in the civil parish of Grendon as described in A Vision of Britain through Time employing a quotation from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "GRENDON, a parish in Atherstone [registration] district, Warwick; on the river Anker, the Coventry canal, and the Trent Valley railway, continuous to Leicestershire, 2½ miles NW by N of Atherstone. It includes Whittington hamlet; and its post town is Atherstone. Acres: 2,360. Real property: £3,172. Population: 561. Houses: 115. The property is divided among a few. Grendon Hall, a fine large edifice, mainly rebuilt in 1825, is the seat of Sir George Chetwynd, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value: £525. Patron: Sir G. Chetwynd, Bart. The church consists of gave, chancel, aisles, and transept, with embattled tower; and is good. Charities, £5."
Grendon was originally an ancient parish in the Hemlingford Hundred of Warwickshire, England. It had no subsidiary chapelries or townships.
It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Atherstone Rural District. Since 1974 it has been part of the non-metropolitan North Warwickshire District.
- The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
- GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.