- source: Family History Library Catalog
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Greenstead Green from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "GREENSTEAD GREEN, a chapelry in Halstead parish, Essex; 2 miles S of Halstead town and [railway] station. It was constituted in 1845; and it has a post office under Halstead. Population: 659. Houses: 101. There is a paper mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £400. Patron: the Bishop of Rochester. The church was built in 1845; and is a handsome structure, with tower and spire. There are a national school, a servants' training institution, and a lecture hall."