|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Haltwhistle, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a chapelry|
|Haltwhistle Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1955-1974|
|Blenkinsopp, Northumberland, England||civil parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Tynedale District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Greenhead from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "GREENHEAD, a village and a chapelry in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the Tippal burn, adjacent to the Carlisle and Newcastle railway, near the Roman wall, 3½ miles W by N of Haltwhistle; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Carlisle. The chapelry is annexed to the vicarage of Haltwhistle, in the diocese of Durham; but, prior to 1865, was a separate charge, of the value of £90, in the patronage of J. Hope Wallace, Esq. The church is modern."
Greenhead was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Haltwhistle, but there is no further information about the settlement until 1955 when it was re-formed as a civil parish, absorbing the parish of Blenkinsopp which was abolished. From 1894 until 1974 the parish was part of Haltwhistle Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Greenhead became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.