|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|West Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Eccleshill, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||civil parish in which it was located 1894-1899|
|Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||county borough of which it was a part 1899-1974|
|Bradford (metropolitan borough), West Yorkshire, England||conurbation in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Greengates is a small suburban area in the north-east of the city of Bradford, West Yorkshire, in England.
The area is bordered by Idle and Thackley to the north-west, and the large council estate known as Thorpe Edge to the west. To the south of Greengates is Ravenscliffe housing estate with the village of Eccleshill beyond that. The village of Apperley Bridge lies to the north. To the east in the Leeds Metropolitan District is the village of Calverley.
Historically, Greengates was in the ecclesiastical parish of Bradford in the Morley Division of the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley. From 1894 until 1899 Greengates was located in Eccleshill civil parish and was transferred to Bradford County Borough for the period 1899-1974.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Greengates.
- GENUKI on Greengates. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Bradford provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Greengates.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to four maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding North 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.