Greene is a town in Chenango County, New York, United States. The population was 5,604 at the 2010 census. The town is named after General Nathanael Greene. It is located in the southwest corner of the county and contains a village, also named Greene. The town and village are northeast of Binghamton.
Part of modern Greene was from land purchased in 1785 from the Oneida and Tuscarora people, but many of the Oneida remained in the area until about 1812. In 1792, the first outside settler arrived and established himself at Greene village.
The town was originally known as "Hornby", but changed its name to Greene in honor of General Nathanael Greene, hero of the American Revolution.
The town was formed from the towns of Bainbridge and the Union (Broome County) in 1798. More was added to Greene form Bainbridge (then "Jericho") in 1799. The town was later reduced by the formation of new towns: Coventry (1806) and Smithville (1808). More of Greene was taken to form part of the town of Barker in 1840, and another part of Greene was added to Coventry in 1843.
In 1842, the village of Greene was incorporated within the town.
In 1945 the Gross Flat flying field was purchased by Robert Barrows and the Greene Airport was established. The airport is still in operation and is located on 173 Airport Road. Boasting one of the longest and widest grass strips in the area, it is often frequented by pilots in training. It is open to the public and has a local CFII instructor and a certified A&P. The Greene Airport also has a live updating weather station that sends data to the National Weather Service.
The Chenango River Theatre was founded in Greene in 2006 by Jeffrey S. Brooks. The 99-seat theatre is the only professional (equity) theatre in Broome and Chenango counties.