Green Township is a township in Sussex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township's population was 3,601, reflecting an increase of 381 (+11.8%) from the 3,220 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 511 (+18.9%) from the 2,709 counted in the 1990 Census.
On November 20, 1824, the southern portion of Sussex County was set off to create Warren County. The northern portions of both Hardwick and Independence Townships, remained in Sussex County and were incorporated as Green Township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on December 27, 1824.
In 1829, part of Green Township were transferred to Byram Township, and in 1853 Green Township was expanded to include a section of the old Newtown Township. On February 24, 1904, Fredon Township was incorporated from a portion of the township. In 1881, the area was listed as ; and today Green encompasses . The township was named after Ephraim Green, who settled near Greendell in 1770. Many sections of Green retain their identity as Tranquility, Huntsville, Greendell and Yellow Frame.
Tranquility was originally known as Kennedytown, named for Amos Kennedy who settled here. When the location for the Tranquility Methodist Church was being chosen, a disagreement arose over erecting it in Allamuchy Township or Kennedytown. A compromise was affected, with the church being erected halfway between the two points. To memorialize the agreement, the church was named Tranquility. Later, Kennedytown took the church's name as its own.
In 1911, the Lackawanna Cut-off rail line opened through Green Township, with a stop at Greendell Station. The Cut-Off was part of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad's mainline from Hoboken to Buffalo. The line was abandoned in 1980 and the tracks were removed four years later. New Jersey Transit is considering reactivating passenger service on the line extending to Scranton, Pennsylvania, with a proposed maintenance-of-way facility at Greendell that would incorporate the surviving station building.
In August 2006, a documentary titled The History of Green Township was produced by Kelsey Falkowski. The video includes historical landmarks, interviews with lifelong citizens of Green Township, and leads up to the contemporary view of the township. Copies can be obtained through the Green Township Historical Society.