|Alt names||Greteham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 123|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Alton Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1834|
|Finchdean Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1834|
|Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Greatham is a village and civil parish in the East Hampshire District of Hampshire, England. It is 1.9 miles (3.1 km) north of Liss, just off the A3 London to Portsmouth road.
Greatham is a small village, about 6 miles (9.7 km) north of Petersfield, Hampshire, 10 miles (16 km) south of Farnham, Surrey and 8 miles (13 km) miles east of Alton, Hampshire. The population of Greatham is just over 800 people living in around 400 houses.
At the north end of the village is Longmoor Military Camp. Towards the south end of the village is the Old Church, which dates back to the 13th century. The only remaining part of this church is the chancel, which includes a tomb of some historical value. The present church, the Church of St. John the Baptist, was built in 1875, and lies opposite the Old Church.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Parishes in the Alton Hundred of Hampshire and the Farnham Hundred of Surrey have been omitted from the Victoria County Histories.
Categories: Hampshire, England | Greatham, Hampshire, England | Alton Hundred, Hampshire, England | Finchdean Hundred, Hampshire, England | Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England | East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England