Place:Great and Little Preston, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameGreat and Little Preston
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates53.76°N 1.388°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inWest Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoTadcaster Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Leeds (metropolitan borough), West Yorkshire, Englandmetropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Great Preston is a small village in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough, West Yorkshire, England. It is situated 8 miles (13 km) south east of Leeds city centre, near to the town of Garforth and the villages of Kippax, Swillington and Little Preston. The village is in the LS26 Leeds postcode area, and forms part of the civil parish of Great and Little Preston, which has a population of 1,449.

Great Preston has one pub, a local cricket and football team, a post office and a village hall. There is now one school that is located at Brigshaw. The church was closed in 1992, and changed into a community centre in 1998. The Working Men's club has also shut down and has been replaced by a snooker club. A fire was discovered at a house on Berry Lane in the late evening of 3rd June 2010 Police are probing suspected arson attack at this Leeds home.

Prior to 1974 Great and Little Preston was located in Tadcaster Rural District

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Great Preston. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.