- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
The only thing that Wikipedia has to say about Great Whitcombe is that it is the site of a Roman Villa. It reports no details of the parish in the 20th or 21st centuries.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Great Whitcombe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WHITCOMBE (Great), a parish in Cheltenham [registration] district, Gloucester; 5½ miles SSW of Cheltenham [railway] station. It has a post-office under Gloucester. Acres: 918. Real property: £1,629. Population: 165. Houses: 37. The manor, with [Whitcombe] House, belongs to Lady Cromie. Roman pavements, baths, coins, and indications of a villa, were found in 1819. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £100. Patron: Lady Cromwell. The church is old."
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Great Whitcombe, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham (district), Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England