|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Corbridge, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Whittington, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Great Whittington is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England, 7 miles NE of Hexham with a population of 401 (as of the 2011 UK census) and an area of 1,494 acres, most of which is used as farmland, with only 12 acres urbanized.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Great Whittington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WHITTINGTON (Great and Little), two townships in Corbridge parish, Northumberland; 7 and 6½ miles NE of Hexham. Acres: 1,477 and 348. Population: 224 and 19. Houses: 44 and 3."
Great Whittington was a township in the ancient parish of Corbridge. In 1866 it became a separate civil parish. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 it was abolished as a civil parish and its area was absorbed into the parish of Whittington.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Great Whittington, Northumberland, England | Corbridge, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England | Whittington, Northumberland, England