Place:Great Weldon, Northamptonshire, England

Watchers
NameGreat Weldon
Alt namesWalesdonesource: Oxford: English Place Names (1960) p 504
Weledenesource: Oxford: English Place Names (1960) p 504
Welledonsource: Oxford: English Place Names (1960) p 504
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.491°N 0.646°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoKettering Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Weldon, Northamptonshire, Englandname of parish after it merged with Little Weldon in 1935
Corby District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Great Weldon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WELDON, a parish and a sub-[registration] district in Oundle district, Northampton. The parish lies 4¾ miles ESE of Rockingham [railway] station; contains Great [Weldon] village and Little [Weldon] hamlet; and has a post-office under Wansford, and a fair on the Thursday after the second Sunday of July. Acres: 3,680. Real property: £5,403. Population: 816. Houses: 180. The manor belongs to the Earl of Winchelsea. A Roman pavement, 100 feet by 50, and a great number of Roman coins, were found at Chapel-Fields in 1738; and vestiges of an ancient town are higher up the hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £209. Patron: the Earl of Winchelsea. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £7."

Until 1935 Great Weldon was a separate civil parish in the county of Northamptonshire, England. In 1935 it joined with Little Weldon to become Weldon, first in Kettering Rural District, and then, since 1974, in the Borough of Corby.

Research Tips